Monday, October 12, 2009

Guest Post on using WPA2 via Nokia E63

Today we have a guest post from one of  our readers about how to use WPA2 networks on your Nokia E63. This is quite a read as many people would have experience trying and failing to connect to a secured network. Many of us just make our networks unsecured just to save the hassles but anyway, have a read and see if this fix works for your WPA2 network at home or work. 


Basically I needed to connect to a corporate WPA2 network at my office, and wanted to access it from the E63.

After defining the Access Point, I had to go into Edit access point to edit the WLAN security settings and change the EAP plug-in settings. It seems the EAP-SIM and EAP-AKA are the default two selected settings on the E63, but most WPA2 networks today use EAP-PEAP, so I had to select that (note: it's best to de-select the default two and select only the EAP-PEAP to avoid potential errors once everything's working, I have no idea why this is the case). Because I have to login to my corporate network via username and password, the "User name in use" via the EAP-PEAP had to be changed to User defined, then the username entered as appropriate. I chose the "Realm in use" to be from certificate, and allowed PEAPv2 (this is selected as No on default, but I had to enable it). Once that's done, I had to go to EAPs to select EAP-MSCHAPv2 -- again, this is not the default, so the defaults had to be disabled, and only this one enabled. Then I entered the username and password, and selected the don't prompt for password in settings. The final stage was to select an appropriate homepage if desired.

All in all, I was successful, but it took a good half hour+ to figure out the nuances. I don't know why such weird default settings are selected on the phone, and I don't understand why ot disabling some of the unused settings caused unexpected behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrong phone? Follow the Nokia E72 blog

Are you a good person?